Marvel Comics is an American comic book company owned by Marvel Publishing, Inc., a division of Marvel Entertainment, Inc.
Marvel published several G.I. Joe titles in the 1980's and 1990's, and holds the distinction of creating the first animated television commercial for a comic book.
The following are the G.I. Joe books published during Marvel's time as holder of G.I. Joe's comic book rights:
- G.I. Joe (1982-1994)
- G.I. Joe Yearbook (1985-1988)
- G.I. Joe: Special Missions (1986-1989)
- G.I. Joe and the Transformers (1987)
- G.I. Joe: European Missions (1988-1989) (a direct reprint of Marvel UK's Action Force Monthly)
- G.I. Joe: Order of Battle (1987)
- G.I. Joe Digest
- Tales of G.I. Joe
- G.I. Joe trade paperback (1990)
- G.I. Joe Special (1995)
However, Marvel retained reprint rights for its G.I. Joe comics. When Devil's Due's G.I. Joe comics came out a success, Marvel quickly reprinted the first 50 issues of the main G.I. Joe series in 5 volumes.
G.I. Joe was also featured as guest stars in the Transformers: Generation 2 comic series.